Teen Dating Violence Statistics
- Girls and women between the ages of 16 and 24 experience the highest rates of intimate partner violence.
- 1 in 5 high school girls is physically or sexually hurt by a dating partner.
- 1 in 3 teens experience some kind of abuse in their romantic relationships.
- Only 33 % of teens who have been in or known about an abusive dating relationship report having told anyone about it.
- Teen girls face relationship violence 3 times more than adult women.
- 25% of victims say they have been isolated from family and friends.
- More than half of victims say they have compromised their own beliefs to please a partner.
- Many teens think this is normal.
- Teens report dating abuse via cell phones is a serious problem.
- Cell phone calls and texting mean constant control: 1 in 3 teens say they are text messaged 10, 20, 30 times an hour by a partner keeping tabs on them
- 82% of parents whose teens were emailed or text messaged 30 times an hour were not aware of this
- The majority of parents of teen victims are unaware of the abuse
Statistics from the US Dept. of Justice, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and Liz Claiborne Inc. teen dating violence survey